Saturday, May 3, 2014

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

Last night I did something completely out of my comfort zone. I spoke on stage to an audience about something that I had not expected or planned!  How did THAT happen?!  I was at our local Relay for Life event helping my sister sell t-shirts for the C-Team and the next thing I knew she had talked me into explaining the design on the shirts in one of the Relay team contests.  I wanted to give her a million reasons why I didn't want to do it or couldn't do it, but something inside me said to be as brave as Colton was during his battle with cancer and do it for him.  His story is too good not to share with others!  And isn't that what life is about?  Sharing our stories with others so we can connect and relate to one another.  I don't remember much of what I said because I was too busy telling myself not to cry and to just keep breathing.  But in the end, I did it and was still alive to tell about it!  Sometimes there are moments in life that make us feel like we can't take the next step; we may feel like we are not capable or good enough.  Fear of failure can rob us of growing, learning, or making a connection with someone.  As a classroom teacher, I want my students to take risks with their learning, to create and share their stories, and make connections with others.  I tell them to just write down what they are thinking and not to get too worried about the mistakes or typos.  How can I expect this of my students if I'm not willing to do it myself?  Because of this realization, I've decided to share not only Colton's story, but my own.  Not because I think I have in-depth insight or knowledge, but because I don't want the fear of failure to keep me from growing, learning and making connections with others.  My hope for this blog is to be a place where I can share some of the life lessons that Colton taught me and how they shape me as a person and as an educator.  The design on the Tshirt that I shared with the Relay for Life audience was "It's Just Mud."  A simple saying with a powerful story behind it that inspired everyone who knew Colton.  This is the story that I shared with the audience last night and the story that inspired the title of this blog.  I will once again push aside the fear of failure and "what ifs" and share his story here with others because...
it is too good not to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment